MILLER, MAKI LLP IS NOW CELEBRATING 100 YEARS OF SERVICE TO SUDBURY AND NORTHERN ONTARIO: 1913 – 2013
The Partners of Miller, Maki LLP during its first 50 years:
George M. Miller, Q.C.
George Merle Miller, Q.C., (b. June 30, 1890; d. September 25, 1977) was enrolled as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Ontario and called with Honours to the Degree of Barrister-at-Law and admitted to practice at the Bar of his Majesty’s Courts in Ontario by the Benchers of the Law Society of Upper Canada in 1913; he began the practice of law in Sudbury on June 13, 1913 with R. R. McKessock who was the local Crown Attorney as well as a practicing Barrister and Solicitor. Miller began his career and practice of law as a Crown Attorney prosecuting criminal cases and also acting privately as defence counsel. He was quite proud of his record as lead counsel for the defence in seven capital murder trials in which he won acquittals in all but one.
Miller was appointed one of His Majesty’s Counsel learned in the law (K.C.) for the Province of Ontario by Letters Patent issued on June 4, 1931.
His defence practice eventually was largely superseded by solicitor’s work dealing in business matters, real estate and estates.
Miller throughout his career was active within the Sudbury community, served on Sudbury Town Council in 1926, was a founding Governor of Laurentian
University of Sudbury, was part owner of the Sudbury Star and CKSO Radio, and was largely instrumental in the establishment of CKSO Television in Sudbury as the first privately owned television station in Canada in 1953.